Previously I had used a couple bushings and spacers on the neck & bearing cups, it worked well, but its been eating me. I removed the upper & lower neck/bearing cup parts from the Honda Dream that the front end is from & added them to the BSA neck this gave it the correct neck length from top to bottom , & allowed me to just use the stock Honda Races, Balls, and cups. Much better I think. I also installed the steering stop.
Well Im back from the Holiday break and some other things that needed done.
First on the list was to make the front wheel work with the Fork. Originally I was going to use the Honda Dream front hub & lace the 21" rim to it. That way it would bold right on the the Dream Front end. I decided last minute I wasnt liking the less stopping power factor, or the none matching hub sizes, so I gave Matt the BSA front hub to lace to the rim, and threw caution to the wind.
Well today was figure out how to make that work day. I reduced the axle size on one end, then the wheel hub didnt want to clear the Dreams sheet metal fork leg on one side, so I trimmed it a bit, then took apart the shock to flip the lower section to clear a nut , and finally got room for things to work, a little cleaning up on the cuts, and itll be good.
Then I was looking for the BSA axle nut, I looked through every place it should have been, and then all the other places. Then I went to get the nut off another 441 here, and WHAT?! I slapped myself in the forehead. The lower fork leg on the BSA is threaded & there is no nut. I kill me sometimes. Of course its a reverse British thread on the axle, so theres no finding one of those around anytime soon, so I cut off the lower tip of the bsa tube. Its a big chunk of metal, so at least I can shape it into something cool looking.
Not much to see, but its all I got picture wise for tonite.
OK, there is to be a removable seat arrangement of some sort on the rear of the bike for an occasional passenger. It will be in the form of a rack that will remove, with a P Pad on it.
For this bike Im trying to be a tad on the subtle, but unusual side in the little things. This part I think the fellow will get a kick out. A coupe years ago in Greenland and Pennsylvania a Movie called the Last Airbender Based on the Avatar was filmed. The bad guy soldiers had grey boots, the higher ups wore black leather boots with embossing on the sides. Weeeell, one day lurking in a strange antique (kind of) store, in the back I saw racks of outfits that looked like old asian warrior kinda deals. The sign said they where the soilder outfits used in the filming of the movie, and then they had some of the boots. The leather was thick. I saw the embossing and knew I could do something with these. This particular pair was wore by stunt guy, H. Minami apparently. What does this all mean, not Jack really, just entertains me.
So I wacked up the one boot to use some of it for the rear P Pad on the rack, on the BSA. So, this bit of boot has seen Greenland, PA, MD. and soon the Florida Keys.
Theres a lot goes into some simple little details on these bikes, these are the parts I have the most fun with.
So far on this bike, stuff I gathered and reused or wacked and tweeked parts from to use are.
stage coach step , head light holder now
harley davidson hummer head light
Honda Dream front end modified
levers from Chang Jang CJ750
military waist belt flag holder socket, now the brass thing that is the front of seat.
foot brake lever, early 1900's crank hankle for something I forgot
Brass Pump fire extinisher, now electrics container
boot from Last Airbender, now rear seat, check.
Das boot bottom, kinda neat.
The old stunt guy owner
And the part Ill use. Modeled by Red Cat for the, Puss in Boot look.
This took a while. The right side wasn't to bad. I made the basic peg that you see welded on bike already, then made a rotating sleeve for the brake pedal that I made from one of my finds.
It slips the sleeve on the peg.
See here how the pedal lines up with the body line on the primary cover, & the lil lever tab on top lines up with the frame tube. Niiice.
The other side I knew would take a while, that assumption way correctamundo. The kicker messed with everything, it is where the sifter wants to be. I now need to make the pag folding out past the shifter pivot, so it can fold up to use the kicker.
I needed a break from that, so I made a tail lamp and a mount.
Ive been derelict in my picture taking & blogging.
Heres the Back of the BSA. The stock rear wheel is in place for setting up chain alignment, the new wheel tire setup is a good bit larger.
It was asked that the bike have a removable seat for an occasional passenger. I thought a Bicycle rack looking dealio would best suit this bike. It will have a bit of padding & leather. It will also be neat to have for longer rides to strap stuff to. It will be made to put on and take off in a snap.
There will be more on this bike daily for the next bit. Presently doing the tank & oil tank.